Traditional Prasad Recipes
Below are two traditional prasad recipes (or prasadam recipes) from India. We hope you enjoy them.
Halva (Semolina pudding)
1/2 C semolina (cream of wheat)
1/4 C sugar (to taste)
1/4 C butter or ghee (clarified butter)
1 C water
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1 Tbsp raisins
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- Mix sugar and water in a pan, bring to a boil and set aside.
- Heat the butter or ghee in a frying pan. Add the semolina, raisins and
cardamom powder and fry until it is very lightly golden brown in color.
Constantly stir to ensure even browning.
- Add sugar water slowly (it may sputter!) and stir rapidly to prevent
- Cook over medium heat until the water gets completely absorbed.
- Immediately place the warm halva in a bowl, tray or individual serving
cups or molds. It will become firm as it cools.
- Garnish with almonds, walnuts or raisins if desired.
(Rice Pudding Dessert)
1/4 cup long grain rice (washed and drained)
4-5 cups milk
2-3 cardamom seeds (crushed) or 1/8-1/4 tsp cardamom powder
2 tbsp almonds (blanched silvered)
A pinch of saffron threads,
soaked in a little hot milk
1 tbsp skinned pistachio nuts (chopped)
1 tbsp raisins (optional)
2-3 tbsp sugar or as desired
- Put the rice, milk and cardamom in a pan, bring to boil and then
simmer gently, stirring occasionally until the rice is soft and the
grains are starting to break up.
- Add almonds, pistachio, saffron and raisins and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Remove the rice kheer from heat and serve either warm or chilled.